Point Place Boat Club origins date back to 1955 when a group of Ottawa River Yacht Club members formed Flotilla 10-4 of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary. Flotilla meetings were originally held at ORYC until 1962 when a non-profit boat club was chartered as the 10-4 Association. This gave the members legal status to acquire property and docks. At first, the property at 5911 Edgewater Drive was leased. The dock required constant maintenance and the building flooded several times each year.
All of the members were required to be members of the Coast Guard Auxiliary and women members were accepted for the first time. In 1972 Jim Ducey was elected as president of the board and he served in the office for 13 years. During this time the property was purchased from the landlord and the rules were changed to allow non auxiliary members to join the club.
In 1984 the dike was completed which ended the flooding problems and allowed the members to think about a new building. In 1985 Bill Ducey succeeded his father and headed the club for the next four years. Under his guidance money was raised to build a new floating dock and planning was started on a new building. In 1987 the name of the club was changed to Point Place Boat Club and the club was accepted as a member club in the AYC with Jim Ducey as the first delegate.
In 1989 Don Griffin was elected commodore and a building committee was named to have plans drafted and negotiations started to obtain a building permit. Don was succeeded by Jack Rex in 1990 and he continued to move forward with the building project. In 1991, under Commodore Jim Smith, the new two-story building was completed.
Since then, under Commodores Dick Waters (92), Lou Keefe (93), Doug Greenwood (94), Fred Hafner (95), Donny Manders (96), Mike Weiss (97), Scotty Kesselmayer (98) and Bill Oswald (99) the club has continued to flourish and expand its activities.
In the year 2000, under Commodore Jim Fuhr, the club voted to install a new lighting system, new electrical & water on the dock, and a pump out station. These were much needed projects for the club.
Terry Foust was Commodore in 2001 and saw us through September 11th of that year as the first female Commodore with pride and distinction.
PPBC Historical Events…
- 1955 Group of Ottawa River Yacht Club members formed Flotilla 10-4 of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary
- 1962 Non-profit boat club was chartered as the 10-4 Association and dock and property leased at 5911 Edgewater Drive
- 1980 Terms of land contract is satisfied and 10-4 Association takes ownership of property at 5911 Edgewater Drive
- 1984 Flooding problems end when Army Corps Of Engineers complete Point Place dike
- 1985 Money was raised for new floating dock and to start plans for new club house
- 1987 Organization name changed from 10-4 Association to Point Place Boat Club; PPBC was accepted as a member club in the AYC
- 1991 Construction of club house completed
- 2000 Dock Upgrade Project: lighting, electrical, water systems for the dock, and a pump out station.